Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Stick It On Shuffle

My iPod that is.
That's right. It's ANOTHER music themed post.
Don't worry, I'll mix it up later with a marathon of movie themed posts, or posts that each include seven instances of the phrase "in flagrante".

Every time I get new music, I listen to it on a loop for a few weeks. Once I get tired of it, I usually go searching for more new music. However, sometimes when I don't have time to get new music, I just put my whole iPod on shuffle and listen to all of the old music that I have. As I was doing this the other day, I realized that there are certain songs that I NEVER skip over in the shuffle. Most of them I do, but there are certain ones that I always stop to listen to. I will list them here, while experimenting with html audio embedding code (oh yeah, I'm that good).

The thing I found most interesting is that the songs that I always stop to listen to aren't even my favourite songs. Sure, I obviously enjoy them, but this list would not be equivalent to a top (insert relevant number) favourite songs list (if I ever make one). They are just songs that I find catchy or fun that I like listening to on city transit as I go to school.

OK, here we go.

1. Homecoming - Kanye West Feat. Chris Martin



OK, so I'm not a Kanye West fan, but I am a Chris Martin fan and the piano in this song is sublime.

2. Set The Fire To The Third Bar - Snow Patrol Feat. Martha Wainwright



One of the best musical collaborations I've ever heard.

3. American Baby - Dave Matthews Band



It's strange that this song is the one Dave Matthews Band song that I never skip as it's not even close to my favourite DMB song. I think it's the violin plucking that does it.

4. Sea Lion Woman - Feist



Also not really a favourite song of mine. It's just got something about it that I never get tired of.

5. Little Lion Man - Mumford & Sons



Mumford & Sons is the pride of my personal favourite musical discoveries as they are brilliant, and this song is awesome. I also love the use of swears in songs when it's not gratuitous (take THAT entire rap community!).

6. The Hardest Part - Coldplay



Again, not even close to my favourite Coldplay song, but it's the one that keeps coming back. Actually this one almost ties with Violet Hill and Postcards From Far Away as Coldplay songs that I don't skip over, but Hardest Part just edged those two out.

7. Crystal Ball - Keane



It's pretty catchy and I always remember the music video, which I love.

8. Holiday - Green Day



I think I'm a closet rocker. This song comes on and I just wanna pump my fist, wear chainlink belts, and think about ways to piss off my parents.

9. Ruby Blue - Roisin Murphy



Bit of an obscure choice, but it's a twisted and fun little b**ch of a song. Sweet.

10. Things Have Changed - Bob Dylan



This song is the exception to the rule, as it is probably one of my all-time favourite songs. I almost put favourite song, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it, even though it's probably the truth.

All done.

No comments:

Post a Comment