Monday, January 31, 2011

Minor Tactics of the Chalk Stream

OK, I'm bored.
I really shouldn't be. I'm in school, I have a part-time job. I have friends.
Yet, I'm bored.
Earlier this evening I did some painting (in terms of art on a canvas, not with rollers on a wall) and that was enjoyable. I got frustrated and took a step back, so now I'm here; reading Cracked articles and listening to a medley of McFly songs.

I've come up with a post that might not entertain readers so much as it is a time-waster for me. It will fill the time between now and an acceptable time for me to go to bed that doesn't make me feel like my grandmother after a strenuous day of watching squirrels chase each other on the front porch.

Right-O. I have done a Google experiment and a dictionary experiment, so now it's time for my Wikipedia experiment! Yay...

I shall hit the "random article" button a few times and see what I get. Say a few words about them, and move on. Sounds fun? I know, but bear with me.

Steinunn Finnsdottir

A female Icelandic poet. Wow, I had trouble writing that without dozing off. However, she did write about a woman who turned into a man, and another that turned into a dog. Same thing really. HIYO!

DuPont, Washington

A tiny city in Pierce County, Washington. I'm sorry, but I read that entire article and that just looks like, quite possible, the dullest place ever. I know that's not true, it's one of them "small town America" cities that America seems to be so darn proud of. There sure are enough of them down there. The most interesting thing I read was that it used to be a Hudson's Bay Company fort and at one point, they moved the entire fort upstream. Now I'm picturing Fort Calgary on one of those giant house-moving vehicles that go 2 km per hour.

Judy Tyler

She was Playboy magazine's Playmate of the Month for January of 1966. I tried to find a picture of her for this site, thinking it would be a funny throwback to the Playboy of the '60's, but I just ended up erasing my Google history and wishing I'd thought that out a bit more before searching. *shudder*

Cognac Public Garden

Imagine my disappointment that this is just an English-styled garden in France with a museum and a hotel. I was picturing fountains with cognac spewing from them for the public to stand under like giant water fountains.

Diana "Mousie" Lewis

She was a film actress and MGM contract star in the late '30's-early '40's. She is best known for being William Powell's wife. I just hope she didn't give herself that nickname. How unfortunate.

Elipsocidae

I quote from the article:
"Elipsocidae is a family of Psocoptera belonging to the suborder Homilopsocidea. Member of the family have a free areola postica. Many species are apterous."
It makes my brain sting.

Minor Tactics of the Chalk Stream

A book about fly-fishing. Written by G.E.M. Skues, this book marks his long campaign to restore the wet fly to its rightful place on the chalk streams of England. Apparently this book "put an end to the dry-fly purist and brought the angling world back to sanity." Wow, who knew wet fly fishing was such an impassioned subject? I guess I just never expected the crafty bait and slaughter of aquatic vertebrates to attract such controversy...

List of Clifford the Big Red Dog episodes

I desperately want to meet the person who took the time to write out this list. I'm picturing an old Croatian man with a comb-over and green argyle sweater typing out this list for his wife, who doesn't know how to use a computer but still wants the world to know about Clifford, the big red dog that taught her how to speak English and how to be a friend.

Cervical spinal nerve 4

This spinal nerve controls the thoracic diaphragm and inspired a medical mnemonic: "Cut C4, breathe no more." Jesus Christ. With teachings like these, medical schools are breeding grounds for new Jack The Rippers or Jack Kevorkians.

OK, that's enough. I just killed... an hour and a half. Wow, I can almost hear the woosh of my life passing me by. Oh well, I'm off to watch House, then Blackadder.

I love the title of that fly-fishing book so much that it will be the title of this blog post, even if it makes no logical sense.

Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment