Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Plays, Plays, Newsies, American Psycho, and More Plays

OK, I want to start off my post by saying that I take back what I said about not liking the music in Slumdog Millionaire. I have re-listened to some of the songs and they are amazing!

Now that that's over with...

I have to see three plays in the span of just over a week. I am somewhat excited as I love theatre, but that's a lot of theatre. I have already seen one, the next I will (hopefully) see on Thursday, and the last one I'm seeing on Saturday.

Play #1: Hamlet
This is the one I saw on Friday. It was put on by the University Drama Department. It was an all female cast. That's right. No dudes at all. Hamlet is almost entirely male roles, but I suppose they thought it was an interesting artistic choice but I thought it was distracting and I couldn't really take it seriously as a Shakespearean piece and I couldn't really appreciate the effort that was put into producing it (which I know was immense). If you want to know more about what I thought, you can read my performance review essay that I'm writing for my English class (Note: sarcastic tone should be sensed here).

Play #2: Witness for the Prosecution
I will (hopefully) be going back to Churchill to see their production of the Agatha Christie drama. I'm excited, but the reason for all of my "bracket-hopefully-bracket"s, is that I haven't bought tickets yet, and I'm hoping (with my very being) that there is at least one extra seat that hasn't been sold on Thursday night!

Play #3: An Ideal Husband
This one is a Neil Simon play being done by Theatre Calgary. These tickets were a Christmas present from the parentals. Going with a friend and I'm excited!

Well, I will be on dramatic overload this week. I don't mind, I'm usually fairly dramatic anyways.

P.S. I have been completely addicted to the Newsies soundtrack lately. It's the only thing I can listen to! I guess there is one song that I periodically listen to in between bouts of Newsies-mania. That song is "Hip To Be Square" by Huey Lewis and the News. That is only because I love the scene in "American Psycho" when Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale) does a little dance and then murders Paul Allen (Jared Leto) with an axe while this song is playing. I love his explanation of what makes the song great.

P.S. #2. I've just read "Less Than Zero" by Bret Easton Ellis, and now I'm reading "American Psycho" also by Ellis. He's a good writer and, I must admit, I love how uniquely disturbing his novels are. His ideas translate well to the screen. However, the movie of "Less Than Zero" is SO completely different than the book. I'm not sure which I like better. Really, the only thing they have in common are the character names. So far, "American Psycho" is a reasonably close adaptation, but I'm not done yet.

Ta-ta for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment