Sunday, February 13, 2011

Some Emeralds of Advice... Or Is It Pearls of Wisdom?

Some people think that the best way to remove bobby-pins from ones hair is to take them out with your fingers. I respectfully disagree. I, personally, enjoy brushing my hair and letting them all just fall out. Oh, how satisfying the sound of the clink of the pins against the bathroom counter is. The only downside that I can think of, is it is also an effective way of losing said bobby-pins, which is why I end up buying more on a regular basis. Totally worth it.

New Year's is the most pointless holiday in existence. It is the celebration of a trivial day on a numeric scale of time, with no other meaning than to signify that this cycle has again played itself out in full. Do we celebrate every June 15th that it has been one year since the last June 15th? No. That would be silly. It seems people enjoy celebrating it as it is an excuse to get completely sloshed and stay out until 4:00am. Like anybody really needs an excuse to do that. It's really just an occassion where people think about how a) they didn't really do anything during the past year and b) they are unlikely to do anything during the year to come.

In my opinion, you aren't a true fan of a band until you know all the names of the band members. If you don't know, that means you haven't cared enough to do a simple Wikipedia search, and really... How easy is Wikipedia? If you can turn on a faucet you can search Wikipedia. For example: Marcus, Ben, Winston, and Ted are Mumford & Sons; Chris, Jonny, Will, and Guy are Coldplay; Dave, Carter, Stefan, Boyd, and LeRoi are Dave Matthews Band, etc. Same goes for television shows, you need to be able to name all of the prominent cast members. For example: Hugh Laurie, Robert Sean Leonard, Lisa Edelstein, Omar Epps, Jesse Spencer, Peter Jacobson, and Olivia Wilde are House M.D. and Rowan Atkinson, Tony Robinson, Tim McInnerny, Stephen Fry, and Hugh Laurie are Blackadder.

When playing The Sims (The Sims 3 to be more specific) I recommend playing with one of two methods in mind. If you are striving to have a big family, make one parent have a job that involves leaving the house and one that has a self-employed, work-from-home job. This ensures that at least one parent leaves the house to leave room for cleaning, cooking etc. and that one parent is at home to take care of any pre-school-age children but still making money. This is actually a reasonable idea for life as well, but works even better for The Sims, because Sims don't have emotional problems pertaining to anything outside themselves, which makes everything astronomically easier.

If you are an avid reader like myself, here is a tip for finding book recommendations: go to the book recommendations section of The New York Public Library, and/or take a look at the long-list and short-list for the Man Booker Prize. Both will give a accurate representation of the best books of the year (and previous years) but not based solely on sales (which is why I steer clear of the New York Times Bestseller list). What I do is look up the lists on those two sites, then cross-reference them with their synopses and reviews on Amazon.ca. That way I can get a reasonably accurate representation of whether I might enjoy the book or not.

Comparatively, I find the internet the best way to find new music. Personally, I suggest looking up a band you already like on YouTube, going to the channel of their official record label, and looking up other bands/artists that label has also signed. Music labels tend to sign artists that are relatively similar (either in quality or style), so I find that a great way to find new music. If you enjoy British music, like I do, two channels I recommend are islandrecords and parlophone.

If you don't happen to have any Kraft Dinner, but you have a craving for some, I have a simple solution. Take your favourite pasta (not a stringy one like fettucini or linguini, but instead penne or shells) and boil it up. Then take a generous spoonful of Cheez Whiz and stir it in. It won't taste exactly like KD, but it's similar enough to count as passable. I actually think it's slightly better and it gives me the satisfaction of a "homemade" meal. The downside? It's one of the least healthy things you can ingest, but then so is regular KD.

Take a look at Johnny Flynn, he's a British folk singer/songwriter/musician:





ALERT: Here's a new feature that I hope I can remember to do every time I post. We'll see how that goes... A book recommendation section. I won't recommend something if I haven't read it. Simple book recommendation ettiquette, I think.

BOOK RECOMMENDATION

Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby

No comments:

Post a Comment