Thursday, November 18, 2010

Snow Means Christmas Is Coming, Right?

Right, so... don't be mad but... I couldn't do what I said I would do in my last post...
I have a good excuse though! I never actually got any phonecalls for anybody in the last ten days. That sounds really sad actually. Rephrase that. I never got any telemarketer-type phonecalls in the last ten days. So, therefore, I couldn't use any of them. I was going to wait a bit longer to see if I could use them, but I have stuff I want to talk about, so I didn't want to wait any longer.

In order to satisfy your curiosity and somehow redeem my record of keeping my promises (which, so far, is probably about 0 for 90), I will transcribe a conversation as it might have occurred using my imagination. Enjoy.

*phone rings*
Me: Hellooo?
Them: Good afternoon, may we speak with [my Dad's name]?
Me: He's actually not here. He's trying to win a bet with himself to prove that he can go for a week without using a telephone. He'd like me to mention that he will take communication in the form of Morse code or, if you so desire, binary.
Them: OK...
Me: Oh, wait one second... OK, he says he can also take singing telegrams, banners flown behind biplanes, or two coffee cans connected with a string.
Them: Right... Should we call back around this time next week?
Me: Technically, the bet ends next Wednesday around 8:15 pm. I should warn you though, if he loses the bet, the punishment is another week without a phone.
Them: What about e-mail?
Me: Hold on... Yeah, he says that's OK. However...
*they hang up*

Sounds about right.

So on November 16, 2010, Calgary got it's very first major snowfall of the season. That's quite possibly the latest that winter has settled into this city and it certainly throws off the biological calendar. I almost don't feel Canadian anymore... OK, that's a lie. I love being Canadian. Oh, except for that internet geo-blocking thing. That kinda sucks.

We've now crossed the halfway point of November and we're venturing into that time of the year that is frequently known as "that time of the year". That's right; it's Christmas season. Two nights ago, I cracked open my "My Music" folder on my PC and whipped out my Christmas music! Some say it's too early, and I agree. There are just a few songs that I really enjoy and since there is only a small window of time at the end of the year in which I can enjoy them, I figured I could jump the gun a bit. Just don't tell anyone. I'll share one per post with you until Christmas. Here's the first:

Sting - "Soul Cake"



I will also take this chance to announce a new project that is (to use industry lingo) "in development". I am currently working on an adaptation of the book "How to be an Alien" by George Mikes into a web series; each chapter being an episode or (to use random internet lingo) a webisode. It's a fairly famous book, I suggest you look it up. I bought my copy (a 1974 edition) for like... a dollar at the U of C library. Best impulse buy ever.

Alright. On with your life.

Pip pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment