Sunday, February 15, 2009

Holy Cupid, Batman!

So I spent Valentine's Day alone.

Well, I guess not "technically" alone, seeing as I did go to work that day and interact with other human beings; but in the sense that on Valentine's Day you are supposed to spend it with your "shveetheart," I was alone.

Oh please, don't feel sorry for me. I have no idea why single people hate Valentine's Day so much. I certainly don't!

1. There's always candy! If you buy it the day after Valentine's Day, it's like 75% off too!

2. There's usually some sort of romantic movie marathon on TV, so there's something to do if you are a fan of the rom-com or the chick flick!

3. You don't have to dish the cash to buy your "shveetheart" that really romantic gift or going out to dinner.

4. You know your pets love you more anyways.

OK, that last one might be give-or-take. My point is, if you happen to be alone on Valentine's Day, don't mope around feeling sorry for yourself or wishing you could sleep all day. Embrace your aloneness, like I did, and just cozy up in front of the TV with your take-out dinner and watch "Shirley Valentine."

Oh, and for those of you who think Valentine's Day was invented by greeting card companies to sell cards and make people feel bad about being single; you are dead wrong. Valentine's Day was declared a national holiday in the mid-1500's by an English King (I can't really remember which one, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the Henrys). Suck on that, sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment